Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A WOW Experience!

Last Wednesday night I took a jump, stepped out of my comfort zone and attended a choir rehearsal for a new choir that has started in South Davis County. I decided after much thought to go for it!

About a month back I received a Facebook invitation from Dr. Michael Huff. Now for those of you who know me, I don't do Facebook. I have no desire to join Facebook, just don't get it. So I cautiously opened the link and found out that Michael (as most of us know him) was going to be directing a new choir in the area. It was a non-audition LARGE choir, called Utah Voices. So, I debated back and forth over it. I don't sing like that on a regular basis anymore and know that I don't have the voice for it, but, after much deliberation I decided to GO FOR IT!!!!

Our first rehearsal was last Wednesday. We met in the Bountiful High School choir room and at first there was a modest showing. But people just kept coming and coming and... We exceeded the choir room. It was phenomenal! It is always fun when you can sing with a conductor who knows what they are doing and knows how to get you to do what they want as well. I came home and told Frank that it was even fun warming up.

Our first performance has been scheduled on December 5 at Libby Gardner Hall we will be doing Handel's Messiah with the Salt Lake Symphony. Apparently they are working on another performance and a sing-in as well.

I am glad that I took the jump, and I know that it will exceed all of my expectations!

6 comments:

Jann said...

Handel's Messiah is so fun in a choir setting. Definitely something I miss! Have fun!!

Lori Smith D'Alba said...

Still remember the singing in the choir that Michael directed for the regional conference at the tabernacle. One of the choicest experiences of my life! Way to go - and enjoy every minute of it.

Sonja said...

Went back last night for some more torture. I simply didn't have much for a voice when I came home, but WOW still. And to think that we only have 4 of the 17 chorus' that we are going to do.

Laura Dawes said...

That's so awesome! I'm so excited for you! And I especially think it's fun to sing in a choir setting with a director who is just like how you described Michael. Way to go!

Lisa said...

Michael is the best! You will love every minute...I know I did. I still have my Messiah score written with lots of his direction, and that's the way I sing it in the "other" choir! Wish I could join you...maybe another year. Have a blast!

Heather said...

I absolutely LOVED singing for him this summer! I wish I had time to join with you (got the invite, debated, debated, debated, realized time & $$ weren't in the cards) and sing. I'll make sure we come to the concert.